Vous n'êtes pas identifié(e).

Annonce

13 février 2024 Sortie de Dotclear 2.29

#1 2020-02-09 10:51:41

Vincent DECONINCK
Membre

Entry vs Post

Hello,

It seems the French word "billet" is translated everywhere to "entry", except in a some parts of the Dashboard where is says "post" instead, which is misleading.
First in the configuration screen : https://www.screencast.com/t/zm32vTfICMND
As you can see the entry creation icon is named "New entry", but to reach the list of entries, the icon is named "Posts" (I spent a bit of time looking for the "Entries" icon ;-)).
Same goes when you activate those icons, the dashboard shows the number of "posts", like so: https://www.screencast.com/t/904Mu7ODh

Probably it's an easy fix...

Vincent

#2 2020-02-10 06:00:03

ben_griffith
Membre
Lieu : Wiltshire

Re : Entry vs Post

Hello Vincent DECONINCK

This change was made with version 2.14 I believe to remember. Indeed, I also found this confusing back then as I was looking for Entries rather than Posts. I got used to it, but if it could be changed back to Entries again, I wouldn't be unhappy :-)

I Dotclear.

#3 2020-02-10 07:44:22

Franck
Footer de merde
Lieu : Paris
Site Web

Yup, we will have a look on this issue!

Dotclear addicted since 2004

#4 2020-02-10 07:49:10

Franck
Footer de merde
Site Web

A remark:

Entry is used for post and page, also in french (entrée for billet and page), so I propose to keep entry for all terms designing both (post and page) and to keep post for entries which are not page.

Do you agree or not agree with this?

#5 2020-02-11 05:15:48

ben_griffith
Membre

Hello Franck

I switched to a French system: Nouveau billet/Billets and Novelle page/Pages. You can see the structure b/B and p/P.

The pages in the English system are called "New page/Pages" and follow the structure p/P.

I think the confusing part is that my brain associates the E with entries from entry and expects Entries. Reverting to "New entry/Entries" would make sense from that point.

On the other side, I quickly checked with Wordpress.com and just realised that they also call it Posts and "Add New Post".

To make it easier for people who want to switch from Wordpress to Dotclear, it's better to keep "Posts".

Honestly, I got used to "Posts", but it took me some months :-)

It's a very difficult decision. I keep it with my company and how we deal with complaints: if it's on the market for some versions, and an old user turns up and complains that a feature is different compare to an old version, I count him and if I get 3 users who complain, then I escalate it. Vincent is the first who complains after 2 years (?).

In other words, I take back my words from yesterday. I would leave it as it is.

Dernière modification par ben_griffith (2020-02-11 05:17:52)

I Dotclear.

#6 2020-02-11 07:38:54

Franck
Footer de merde
Site Web

Thanks ben_griffith for your remarks.

I think that we should, at least, harmonized terms used everywhere and so I think that I will use post and page for specialized entry and vice versa :-)

So:

- post will be same as post in Wordpress
- page will be same as page in Wordpress
- entry will be used for post or/and page when we cannot or don't want make difference

#7 2020-02-11 12:05:12

Vincent DECONINCK
Membre

+1 with Franck

I personnally also prefer "Post" for "Billet" but I could live with "Entry" if it was harmonized everywhere.

And Entry could be use only as a most generic term encompassing both posts and pages (although I have no idea of the equivalent in the French UI).

Kind regards,

Vincent

#8 2020-02-11 21:27:51

Philippe
Stagiaire
Lieu : Toulon
Site Web

Vincent DECONINCK a écrit :

And Entry could be use only as a most generic term encompassing both posts and pages (although I have no idea of the equivalent in the French UI)

I suggested "Publication" as a generic term in French.

#9 2020-02-12 05:03:00

ben_griffith
Membre

@Franck:  It's probably my German background that struggles with "New post/Posts", but "entries" is not that much wrong.

English Wikipedia:

A blog (a truncation of "weblog") is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete, often informal diary-style text entries (posts). Posts are typically displayed in reverse chronological order, so that the most recent post appears first, at the top of the web page.

German Wikipedia:

Meist ist ein Blog eine chronologisch abwärts sortierte Liste von Einträgen,

BTW: I can't get the German language installed "Error: Invalid language file URL.", which is probably a result of the problem that since 2.15, I can't upgrade DC from inside. I had to use that Fake Me Up plugin.

@Phillipe: "Publication" is different. You can publish something but it's a finished result. However, a blog is a continues process.

I Dotclear.

#10 2020-02-13 12:52:39

nanart
Membre
Lieu : Roubaix

in French, a publication is ... published ...
What happens to unpublished publications?

Dernière version stable Dotclear sur wampserver et chez ovh
Versions testing & unstable en local
https
php: 7.4  - 8 +

#11 2020-02-14 04:48:38

ben_griffith
Membre

@nanart: it remains content.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication

I Dotclear.